Thursday, February 19, 2009

Naan Kadavul Review

I liked some of Bala's previous movies, but the extended hype for this movie had also tired me out, so it was with a mix of anticipation and nonchalance that I went to watch the movie.

I didn't really like the movie. I liked the Pooja half of the story, but the Arya half was very underdeveloped; to the extent that I found him irrelevant whenever they showed him, and wanted the story to return to Pooja

I didn't like the fight scenes either, looked exactly like Pithamagan climax to me. In Pithamagan it was shocking and intriguing. In Naan Kadavul I found it boring; the two fights in the movie even resemble each other. The character's violence seemed very forced to me.  

The MGR/Sivaji portions looked very irrelevant, as if there was a channel change to Vijay TV Kalakkapovathu Yaaru. And I also thought they should have rerecorded the songs that Pooja sings; I found it distracting that they just played the original songs.  

Minuses aside, I did like some things about the movie, like most of the Pooja story arc. The very poor Arya characterisation is in stark contrast to the unbelievable depth in the Murugan character. The humour scenes involving the beggars, while crass, are quite funny.  

Overall, the movie looked like Bala was very distracted and never had time to complete his thoughts. I really liked Pithamagan and Nandha, but this one didn't click for me.

2 comments:

Vinith | February 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Agree with some of your points. Arya's character has not been given enough importance. Pity on Arya for wasting 2 years in his career for a movie where he appears hardly for 30 mins.

But the best part of the movie is that it sheds light on Lives of Beggars and the business involved. Stunning and much disturbing.

That police station MGR/Sivaji songs episode is absolutely boring as we've seen the similar one in Pithamagan. Where is Bala's creativity here?

kannan | February 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

The one in Pithamagan was atleast marginally interesting, and I think it was shorter. This one seemed to go on forever, and looked like a bad version of Kalakapovathu Yaaru. To his credit, perhaps, I guess there weren't as many mimicry artists on Vijay TV and Sun TV when he started the movie, and he thought it would be novel? One of the many problems with stretching a movie for years!

p.s. sorry for the very delayed reply, I didn't receive a notification when you commented. Still trying to sort out my Blogger settings. :)

Post a Comment

Tu comentario será moderado la primera vez que lo hagas al igual que si incluyes enlaces. A partir de ahi no ser necesario si usas los mismos datos y mantienes la cordura. No se publicarán insultos, difamaciones o faltas de respeto hacia los lectores y comentaristas de este blog.